Stay Healthy During Flu Season
We want to keep you and your loved ones healthy and safe from the flu this season, and help you understand what your plan covers.
Get a Flu Vaccine
Protect yourself and your loved ones from the flu by getting a flu vaccine every year. The flu is a contagious respiratory illness. It can be mild or severe, and serious cases of the flu can lead to hospitalization or death.
The flu virus changes every year, so it's important to get an updated vaccine. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that healthy adults and children six months and older get a flu shot every year. The following people have a higher risk of developing flu complications, so it's especially important that they get the flu vaccine every year:
- Children six months to five years old
- Adults 50 years and older
- Adults and children with compromised immune systems or chronic heart, lung, or blood disorders; asthma; hypertension; or diabetes
- Children and teens (six months to 18 years old) who are on a long-term aspirin therapy or who might be at risk for experiencing Reye’s syndrome
- Adults and children living in a nursing home or care facility
- Pregnant women and new moms within the first two weeks after giving birth
- Adults and children of American Indian and Alaskan Native descent
- Adults or children who are considered overweight (adults with a body mass index of 40 or higher)
Note: Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts covers the cost of all CDC-approved vaccines, based on availability, if they're administered by an in-network provider. Members won't be reimbursed for flu vaccines performed by non-participating providers, unless the member has Medicare Advantage.
Important Note: Children
Some children six months to eight years old may need two doses of a flu vaccine. Parents should always check with their child's pediatrician before a child gets a flu vaccine.1
NOTE: This information is being provided for educational purposes only and shouldn’t be considered medical advice. Please consult a doctor for medical advice.