Growing Up Healthy

In addition to regular screenings and preventive care, a child's emotional and physical wellbeing can be affected by many other issues—including those that might seem to impact only a parent. Consider talking with your pediatrician or family physician about the following concerns. If your child is old enough to see a primary care provider (PCP or pediatrician) one-on-one, encourage him or her to talk with a doctor about any health concerns.

Infant/Child Issues

  • Infant sleeping positions  
  • Car safety (car seats, airbags, seat belt use)
  • Water and boating safety
  • Gun safety
  • Home safety and child-proofing
  • Poisoning
  • Stranger awareness and safety
  • Sunscreen use
  • Activity safety (helmets, protective pads)
  • Nutrition, exercise, and physical activity
  • Content, viewing time, and use of: television, computers, video games, and movies
  • School problems
  • Behavioral problems
  • Sexual abuse and child-predator awareness
  • Dental care

Parental Issues Affecting Children and Adolescents

  • Substance use/abuse (alcohol, tobacco, drugs)
  • Domestic violence or sexual abuse
  • Stress (financial, job-related, relationships)

Adolescent Issues

  • Car safety (seat belt use, drinking and driving)
  • Gun safety
  • Sunscreen use
  • Athletic and activity safety (helmets, protective pads)
  • Substance use/abuse (alcohol, tobacco, inhalants, and other drugs)
  • Sexual activity, sexually transmitted diseases, HIV, contraception
  • Nutrition, weight control, physical activity, eating disorders
  • Content, viewing time, and use of: television, computers, video games, and movies
  • Healthy relationships (peer pressure, behavioral problems, sexual pressure)
  • Sexual abuse and child-predator awareness
  • School problems, depression, isolation
  • Home-alone safety and job safety
  • Risks associated with tattooing and body piercing
  • Dental care

If your child is between the ages of 18 and 21, it may be the right time for him or her to transition from their pediatrician to an "adult" doctor. We can help with that. Check out our Find a Doctor & Estimate Costs tool to search for a new doctor for your young adult.