Our Aftercare Case Management program was designed to help participants make the transition from an inpatient setting (acute hospital) to their home.
A specially trained registered nurse will:
- Conduct a screening and telephone interview within 24 to 48 hours of notification of discharge
- Contact participants for additional (2 to 5) short-term telephone interventions for approximately 4 weeks after being discharged
- Assess signs of any complications
- Support discharge instructions
- Address self-care
- Offer education on follow up visits
- Offer care referrals based on home or community resources, if necessary
- Empower the member towards self-advocacy
- Offer referrals for disease management interventions
- Offer referrals for more intensive case management interventions
- Assess medication regimens and offer education to members regarding side effects and potential complications
- Consult with physicians as necessary
If you would like to learn more or determine if you're eligible to participate in a Blue Care Connection® Case Management program, please call 1-800-392-0098 and choose option 1. The Blue Care Connection is available Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. ET.